Tuesday 16 October 2018

Day 1141 - Shoesday Tuesday

crossed legs wearing turquoise lamb print tights and pink satin Barbie platform shoes
Shoes: Barbie Girl, Charlotte Olympia 

Most of you know I'm a big dolly fan, so I was super excited when Charlotte Olympia collaborated with Mattel on this Barbie collection. Given their hefty price-tag (£1145 for this pair!!), it's taken me a while to own any, but earlier this year I managed to find one pair in my size for a very reasonable price. I know some TK Maxx stores are stocking them now too (this wasn't where I got mine), my parents saw them in Manchester and I was a bit worried they'd see the original price and think I'd paid that for them! I also know they've been getting quite a lot of flack in TK Maxx as many think they are hideous. A friend of mine absolutely hates when I wear any of my Blythe or doll themed shoes, as they give her the creeps, so I do get it, but personally this is right up my street and I think they're beautiful.
The doll face on the front is a ceramic reproduction of the original 1959 Barbie, which I think is adorable. They have a very boudoir-esque feel with the feather boa trim and slim, bejewelled straps in of course, "Barbie pink" satin. The heel is completely clear and really chunky, which does give a bit of security given it's height.  They do feel high though, I'm not going to lie. They look like water in some of these photos as they are so clear! There's also the iconic Charlotte Olympia 'island' platform and the sole is also satin with the CO gold web logos. Size wise, these are a 38, I'd have liked a 38.5 ideally, as they are very narrow in the toe and I could've done with a little more room to wiggle. Length is true to size and there's an adjustable buckle fastening on the strap. Like I say, they do feel high, though quite steady and I can walk in them, I just don't think I'd wear them for long periods of time.  I decided to wear them with these Irregular Choice tights to amp up the fun factor and honestly I really couldn't care less if people hate them, I love them!  I'm also gutted I missed the coordinating clutch recently...it was too late at night for me to order (my bank are super efficient in flagging possible fraud-usually myself!), so of course by morning, they had sold out.  I've been stalking like a mad thing, but no joy yet.  Last thing, I'm calling these "Barbie Girl" though they didn't have an official name on the box, just "TBC", but I have seen them called Barbie Girl, so that's what I'm calling them.   

Wearing:  Lamb tights Irregular Choice (old). 
Fit:  5 3/4" heel and 1 1/2" platform.  Adjustable buckle fastening on strap.  True to size in length, narrow in the toe though. 
Comfort:  I think they'd pinch in the toe area after a while and the heel height is for experienced heel wearers only!  wearing perspex heeled pink satin shoes with feather trimwearing lamb print tights and pink shoes with vintage Barbie faces on themback view of lucite heels on pink shoes with vintage lamb print tightsclose up look of vintage 50s ceramic Barbie doll faces on toes of shoesclose up of pink satin feather trim shoe with ceramic Barbie doll face and perspex heeldetailed look at toe of shoe with feather boa trim, diamante straps and vintage Barbie heads

2 comments :

  1. I'll be honest: I find them outrageously creepy- but you know I don't like the Blythe shoes- creeeeeeeeeepy!!!
    I do like the clear heel though. I wonder about all the materials used to make these- they aren't the most environmentally friendly- for some reason I have really started thinking about that when I am making shoe choices. It's very hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could imagine it would be. It's not something I've thought about if I'm really honest, but then certainly the majority if not all of my shoes will not get worn down in my lifetime. Maybe that's selfish for whatever comes next, but although I hope to wear them sometimes, they're not going to get worn so much they need throwing out.

      Delete

Thank you for your shoeaholic love!!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.