Tuesday 20 September 2022

Day 1258 - Shoesday Tuesday

Irregular Choice Ava's Aviary
Shoes: Ava's Aviary | Irregular Choice 

An oldie for you today as I've not been able to take new photos.  Last week, I reviewed my bargaintastic camo Quartz Order if you missed those.  We're heading way back to 2017 today with the birdcage heels.  I took these photos in 2019, so even they're old!  It's actually making me quite sad seeing these, as there's absolutely nothing of this level at IC for me now or lately.  For several seasons, I've been struggling to get excited about the styles, they're doing nothing for me.  Heels are low, colours and themes aren't my bag and shapes just aren't what they used to be.    You'll probably remember I have the stunning Maya boots with this heel and although I bought these shoes at the time, I had to return them as I couldn't keep both.  I thankfully managed to get them in the sale afterwards; they also came in red or black.  The uppers remind me of a lot of older IC styles (many pre-name) and although your focus is on the heel, you can't ignore how beautiful the embroidery and detailing is.  

The main framework of the shoe is not dissimilar to the perspex 'cage' wedges such as Glissade or Call Me Cinders, though the curved aspect is more like Hop To It or Santa's Globe that we saw later.  They are quite heavy.  Obviously not as much as the liquid filled globe ones, but weightier than the ballerina or Cinderella which are just small figures encased in a light perspex surround.  The feathered bird sits on a beaded perch and there's artificial flowers and feathers at the base too.  

I'd describe the shoe as quite hard, there's absolutely no 'give' in them, I'd liken them to wooden clogs actually.  You rock as you walk and don't expect them to be the type to slacken with wear.  For that reason, if you don't fit these first time, I'd try the size up, because I really don't think they'll stretch.  I went for my usual size 5/38 and found them slightly roomier than the boot version with the same heel, but there isn't much wiggle room to be honest.  The length just fits and no more.  The strap, I keep fastened and slip my foot in (and pray nothing bursts).  I can't remember if they actually undo or not.  If they do, I must've tried it that way and realised it was mission impossible to get the button back in once on.  That story is ringing a bell to be honest!  I would like more padding underfoot in these, they are a bit uncomfortable there, though they do have that beautiful cat half insole that I love so much.  They're absolutely stunning.        

Wearing: Pink colour card tights, House Of Holland x Pretty Polly (old). 
Fit: 5 1/2" heel, 1 1/2" platform. Elasticated button on strap (slip on without undoing). Bought in my usual size 5/38, not masses of room, but fit just fine.  Unlikely to loosen with wear. 
Comfort:  Quite a hard shoe and like I say, could do with more cushioning underfoot.  A little workout for the legs with the weight of them, but not the heaviest heel I've tried.  
wearing Irregular Choice Ava's Aviary shoes and House Of Holland pink card tights
wearing Irregular Choice Ava's Aviary birdcage heels
wearing Irregular Choice birdcage heels with blue satin uppers
Irregular Choice Ava's Aviary birdcage heels worn with House Of Holland pink stripe tights
Irregular Choice Ava's Aviary embroidered mary jane shoes
Irregular Choice Ava's Aviary blue birdcage heels
close up of blue embroidered floral satin uppers on shoes
rounded toe with floral embroidery on shoes
feathered bird in cage in heel of shoe

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your shoeaholic love!!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.