Tuesday 30 November 2021

Day 1221 - Shoesday Tuesday

wearing Irregular Choice Santas Workshop boots
Shoes: Santas Workshop | Irregular Choice 

My boots from the Irregular Choice Christmas collection eventually arrived last week, after the mix-up with next day delivery.  They felt like the most "me" pair from the launch and were the only footwear purchase I made that day, despite buying lots of other bits.  However, I don't think I'll be keeping them, which I'm pretty disappointed about...they just don't suit me and I'll discuss that later.  First off, I do think they are incredible boots, I love all the details and materials used.  That fine glitter in electric blue is dazzling in the flesh, especially under lights and I'm also rather fond of the holographic textured doors.  The gap between the doors bothered me in photos I saw before mine arrived and whilst I can see the gap here too, it didn't concern me in person.  The Velcro on each door is top and bottom, so you do get a secure enough closure.  I just think whilst wearing, the doors want to naturally open (not open as in detach themselves from the Velcro pad, but split to create this gap between the doors).  

The Santa figure contained in the heart shaped case up the leg doesn't bother me at all, it's not like the larger, protruding doll in Visionary Viper from the Dan Sullivan collection.  There's also no restriction to movement at the ankle from it, though it sits further up the leg than that.  The boots are a lot taller than I expected-I've compared them to Sleigh Ride from 2020 below, where you pretty much have that whole top turret section extra this time.  This pair zip up the inside (SR zipped up the back) and I had zero straining doing the zip up, when I do in a lot of other IC boots.  There's also a small elasticated gusset at the top of the boot on the inner side, which I definitely didn't need.  You can see that these boots aren't intended to fit snugly at the top, I have a huge gap, which I photographed in the 2nd image below.  

I didn't find the boot rubbed the outside of my leg, but I was bothered with the holly.  It's sewn on with scratchy invisible thread and continually attacked my tights and pricked my leg.  It was much more noticeable on one leg, so perhaps it's not been trimmed properly and others aren't like that.  I love the inner side of the boots with that night sky deer print, I'm a sucker for IC deer images to be truthful.  I didn't expect to see so much of it though and this is the issue.  From the front, the boots just look strange; there's too much going on and you don't know quite what.  Each side makes sense from a side angle, but from the front you're getting both part of the print and part of the castle and it's just...messy.  It makes my feet look very wide and they remain that width the whole way up and seem to cut off the thinnest, more shapely, parts of my legs.  My legs look stocky here (3rd image below best illustrates) and that's why I feel I want to return them.  From the inner side or outside, they are beautiful, but just very confusing and messy from the front in my opinion.  There needs to be some definition.  

Sizing wise, I found them very true to size.  I love the Santa/gnome heel, it's one of my favourite characters and one of the few proper 'heels' rather than the wedge-like appearance so many take on.  I find the height with the concealed platform very manageable.  I love that it's the glitter Santa version that we were introduced to last year with Sleigh Ride.  I like the boots in my hand, but not so much on the feet and that's what matters to me.  I don't collect for the sake of it, I want to wear them, so that's why they are going back.  Obviously I'm disappointed at not getting anything, but as pretty as First Stop are, the heel is too low for me and I only like the top of Stuffed Stockings.  Like I say, I bought lots of other things, but I was hoping for my annual pair of Christmas heels.  Ah well, I'm off to look out my advent boots from last year for tomorrow!  

Wearing: Xmas Delivery Tights, Irregular Choice (current season). 
Fit:  4 1/2" heel and 1" concealed platform. Almost full length inside zip, elasticated gusset on inner side of top of boot, which didn't feel necessary as boot circumference is already wide fitting. True to size. 
Comfort: I did find the back of the holly irritating. It's stitched on with invisible thread which is spiky and scratched at my leg the whole time. It was more noticeable on one foot, so perhaps they aren't all like that.
front view wearing blue festive Santa boots with striped tights
wearing Christmas boots, showing gap between leg and top of boot
wearing Irregular Choice Santas Workshop AW21 Christmas boots
wearing blue glitter Christmas boots with Santa figure and striped turrets
close up wearing Irregular Choice Santas Workshop boot
legs in boots showing elasticated gusset and zip opening
back view of legs in Christmas tights with Santa heeled glitter boots
side profile wearing blue glitter festive boots with Santa shaped character heel
legs in striped Christmas tights showing deer print inner side of boot and castle themed outer side
side by side comparison of Irregular Choice Sleigh Ride and Santas Workshop
side by side comparison of Irregular Choice Sleigh Ride and Santas Workshop boots
close up of glitter Santa heel of shoe in hand with shoe shelves in background
closed holographic blue doors on side of boot
open doors on side of boot revealing gingerbread man print
heart shaped case on side of boot with Santa figure inside
close up of heart shaped clear case on side of boot with Santa figure inside
wearing Irregular Choice Xmas Delivery Tights with Santa in chimney and striped print

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your shoeaholic love!!

Unfortunately I've had to disable anonymous comments for now, due to a high volume of spam.